Genealogy and family history research is a popular hobby and there are many websites, organizations, and resources available to help individuals research and learn about their ancestors. Some popular resources include Ancestry.com, FamilySearch.org, and the National Archives. Additionally, DNA testing kits have become increasingly popular in recent years and have provided many individuals with new insights into their family history and ancestry. Today in this blog post, we will explore the some popular genealogy search strategies.
In the next six blog posts I will cover the following genealogy search strategies that include:
- Starting with yourself and working backwards: Begin by gathering information about yourself, your parents, grandparents, and so on. This can be done through interviews, documents, and other records.
- Using online genealogy databases: There are many online databases available such as Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org that can help you find information about your ancestors. These databases often include census records, birth, marriage and death records, military records and more.
- Utilizing DNA testing: DNA testing has become increasingly popular in recent years and can provide a lot of information about your ancestry and potential relatives. Companies like 23andMe and AncestryDNA offer DNA testing services that can help you find relatives you didn’t know you had.
- Joining online genealogy communities: There are many online genealogy communities where you can connect with other researchers and get help with your research. Websites like Reddit and Facebook have genealogy groups where you can ask questions, share information and get help with your research.
- Utilizing local resources: Local archives, libraries, and historical societies can be a great place to find information about your ancestors. They may have records, newspapers, photos, and other resources that can be helpful in your research.
- Collaborating with others: Genealogy research can be a lot of work and collaborating with others can make it much easier. You can collaborate with other researchers who are also searching for ancestors in your family tree, or you can hire a professional genealogist to help you with your research.
Using genealogy search strategies is important for a number of reasons. One of the main reasons is that it allows you to be more efficient and effective in your research. By using search strategies, you can focus your efforts on the most relevant and promising sources of information, rather than wasting time on less productive avenues of research.
Another important reason to use genealogy search strategies is that it can help you to overcome common challenges and obstacles in your research. For example, using search strategies can help you to find and access hard-to-find records, such as census records, church records, and wills. It can also help you to break through brick walls in your research, such as when you are trying to identify ancestors with common names or who lived in areas with poor record keeping.
Using genealogy search strategies can also help you to stay organized and to keep track of your research. By using a systematic approach to your research, you can make sure that you are not missing any important information or sources. This can also help you to avoid duplicating your efforts and to keep track of the progress you have made in your research.
Finally, using genealogy search strategies can help you to be more confident and satisfied with your research. By following a structured approach, you can be more certain that you have covered all of the necessary sources and that you have not missed any important information. This can help you to feel more confident in your research and to be more satisfied with the results you have achieved.
In conclusion, using genealogy search strategies is essential for conducting effective and efficient genealogy research. It allows you to focus on the most relevant and promising sources of information, overcome common challenges and obstacles, stay organized, and increase the confidence and satisfaction of your research.