Why is genealogy so popular? Compassion in learning the history of our ancestors which helps us gain a greater understanding of how they lived in the past.
This is a very important step for anyone thinking of or is new to starting their family tree.
Are you contemplating taking a genealogy course? If the answer is yes! Read on…
Get the basics and learn how to research the right way. Learn more about your ancestors and where you came from. Understand what you are undertaking; focus and prepare your way before starting any family tree research.
First and foremost, learn the basics of genealogy. Tracing your family tree will be an exhilarating and fascinating journey while you dig deeper into your past.
Taking a course will help you understand the genealogy research process and how to interpret the information you find. Learn how to uncover the past and record your family history.
Discover different research strategies. Learn how important surnames are and what challenges genealogists have with name variations and name changes.
Develop a strategy to accomplish your goals and objectives; evaluate the results, and share that information with others.
Discover where to look, who to contact, and how to make your family history come alive!
Learn about the main source types that include civil, church, census and military records. Learn how to use these different kinds of data in research.
Record your findings. Bring your family tree to life by properly citing any documents, maps, letters, photos, etc and attaching to the person you are researching. Protect your document.
Remember, learning how to prepare your family’s genealogy the correct way will be – challenging and personally rewarding for you. Leave a legacy for your descendants, a genealogical history that they will be proud of and display.
Research for FREE genealogy courses that are available!
Below are eight website links to help you get started:
- Udemy – Free Introductory Course to Genealogy – A pre-research course to introduce you to genealogy. Sign up for a FREE account and enrol for this FREE beginner course.
- FamilySearch Learning Center – Has a wide range of FREE genealogy courses available for learning.
- Lisa Lisson – Where To Find Free Genealogy Courses – It’s Easier Than You Think! An article with 11 website links to ‘Free genealogy courses and webinars are a great way to improve a researcher’s genealogy research skills and increase the chance of finding your ancestors.’
- Future Learn – Genealogy: Researching Your Family Tree – FREE Course – Dive into your family ancestry and learn how to create a family tree on this online genealogy course.
- Family History Daily – 7 Places to Find Free Genealogy Courses and Webinars Online – Links to seven websites offering FREE structured genealogy courses or helpful webinars that cover modern research methods that will open your eyes to a whole new world of genealogy discoveries.
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars – Check out the FREE Library (also a dropdown box from 2010-21) for various topics and also available in other languages as well.
- Genealogy.com – Genealogy Learning Center – Trace your family’s history for FREE on Genealogy.com as they will guide you along with how-to articles, genealogy guides and other resources. An excellent resource with lots of different subjects covered.
- Learn Web Skills – Researching Your Family Tree – FREE interactive tutorial where you can study subject headings in whatever order you would like. A good starting course to begin with.
If you feel the need to pay for genealogy courses in the future – by all means, as it is your prerogative. But in the meantime, be frugal – save yourself some money and enrol in some FREE courses first.
What are you waiting for? Select a FREE course today and learn some basic genealogy. Get started on your Family Tree.
I hope that you found this article informative.